simplelife

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Vocabulary

Out of curiosity, I started to grab a pen that day to start counting my son’s vocabulary or in other words, what he has spoken. The reason why I did this is because I think my son is slow in his speech. I can my nephew who is the same age as my son always so chatty with lots of words coming from her mouth. And she can make a very long sentences but my son could not.

So, there I am sitting on my desk and start to write down all words that I have heard before. Wau! To my surprise, I have counted up to more than 100 individual words! All these words are in English and I have yet to include those in Mandarin! I did not know that he knew that many words! Hmmm….. now I am a bit relieve, at least my son is not that slow I guess. Recently he has manage to combine 2 words such as ‘mummy sleep’, ‘daddy eat’ and ‘boy boy hold’.

Probably before this counting, I was a bit paranoid about my son’s development. But I know each child has its own schedule of development. I just could not help it but sometimes I do compare my son with other kids to see how my son fares. I am not putting a high expectation on him as I know it is not good. I was a stress kid myself, so I understand how my son would feel if I were to push him hard. I do not want him to be as stressful as I was when I was a child. I just hope that he can enjoy his childhood let him be whatever he wants.

2 Comments:

  • My girl was chatty, by 18th months she already speaking full sentences. My boy is 20th months now, and hardly speak, only recently he's picking up with new words but still hardly put more than 2 words in a sentence. I read that boy are always slow in speech than girl. My MIL said my hubby didn't speak until he was 2, and they actually thought he was a mute.

    By Blogger Montessorimum, at 11:25 AM  

  • Wau! Your girl is sure fast! ok, at least I know my son is normal. :) And i was wondering if he needs any help and wanted to ask his doctor to check on him! What a 'kancheong' mummy, hoh! :)

    Thanks for sharing, have a good weekend ahead!

    By Blogger alexis, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home