simplelife

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Haircut

My son has very little hair. His hair does not grow very long and fast. He’s got ‘girl’s hair’ as his hair is not thick and pointy but instead soft. SO, he seldom goes to barber to cut his hair. Normally my mother-in-law (MIL) would bring him to the barber (a Chinese old man) to get his haircut which started when he was 1 month old. Until now, his visits to his barber does not exceeds 5 times! This shows how slow his hair grows!

My MIL likes his boys to have near clean shaven hair which is the almost botak (bald) look. She does not like those hair style which leaves a tail where else the rest of the hair is short. She has expressed this since before my son was born. I am not particular about hair style, so I let it be and just follow what she says.

But my son does not like it. Each time he has to go for a haircut, he would cry. I don’t know the reason why he cried. So, one day, my hubby and I have decided to bring my son to the barber to have his haircut to comfort him. I thought that with me around, he would be more comfortable. But even when he sees the shop and not even step into the shop, he shook his head to disapprove of us going inside. Hubby had to hold on to him while the barber cut my son’s hair. He was crying throughout the whole cutting process. Even with a candy given by the barber could not stop him from crying! It was so sad and I still do not know why he cried. Probably he is scared of the barber or he is scared of the shaver and scissors.

Then, this time round, he needs another cut. My hubby suggested that he too, cut his hair there together with my son. What a good idea! So, prior to going to the barber, I had told him that he will have his hair cut. Firstly he shook his head. Then, I told him that the barber will cut his daddy’s hair first then only cut his. He said ok. So after dinner the other day, we bundled him into our car and visit the barber. As usual, when he saw the barber shop, he shook his head. I ignore him and brought him inside. There, the barber started to work on his daddy’s hair. My son sat hugging me tight next to daddy. His eyes kept looking at his daddy while I try to explain and coax him to have his hair cut like daddy. He kept shaking his head. When daddy is done, I pass him to daddy. My son started to protest. The barber quickly gave him a candy to console him. He quiets down. We begin cheering him by saying how fast and clever he is by not crying. He actually did not cry throughout the whole process but we can see that he is fighting hard holding back his tears. He looked so brave doing so. The process was fast and soon it was over. We cheered him and applaud him and boy, does he look glad it was all over!

We went home and everyone was surprised that he did not cry. I think the next time its best to get daddy to trim his hair together with my son. This trick works!

2 Comments:

  • My kids are older now, so sometimes it's hard to remember the days when we had to worry about such issues. Your post brought it back. I can remember the tears in the barbers chair. (They DO eventually grow out of it :o)

    To Love, Honor and Dismay
    -

    By Blogger Andrew McAllister, at 9:32 AM  

  • Hello Andrew,

    Nice to meet you. :)

    Lucky you that your kids have grown out with this phase. I am going through it now and hopefully he will be brave enough for the future snips!

    Cheers!

    By Blogger alexis, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home